to go further Follow the news on Georgia News Organisation At least five journalists attacked while covering Georgia’s election campaign News July 20, 2020 Find out more RSF_en Mounting pressure on Georgia’s media in run-up to elections GeorgiaEurope – Central Asia October 1, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts News November 14, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Elections board cancels accreditation of main independent TV station Reporters Without Borders expressed concern today at the decision by Georgia’s national elections board to cancel the accreditation of the country’s only truly independent TV station, Rustavi 2, and stressed that Georgians needed impartial information during the present serious political disturbances.The press freedom organisation said it was also worried about pressure exerted on the station by the board and by several political parties in connection with the 2 November general elections and the political crisis since then. Nine of the 12 electoral board members reportedly voted on 13 November to cancel Rustavi 2’s accreditation for broadcasting a message from the Kmara student movement calling on several board members to stop rigging the election and think of the public. The message warned that they would be arrested and jailed if they persisted. One board member, Givi Komadhidze, demanded on 6 November that the station stop airing the message, noting that Kmara was founded by Zurab Zhvania, leader of the opposition Democrats’ Union, and said the accompanying pictures threatened members of the electoral board. He said he would ask the board to cancel the station’s accreditation if it continued to broadcast the message. The board’s chairwoman, Nana Devdariani, said however that the board had no right to decide what a TV station could or could not broadcast. Three political groups – the Renewal Party, the Industrialists’ Party and the Labour Party – charged on 10 November that Rustavi 2 was responsible for the current political crisis and said they would boycott its journalists. The same day, Rustavi 2 journalist Guram Donadze was set upon by a member of the pro-government coalition, For a New Georgia, as he was trying to find out who President Edvard Shevardnadze was planning to meet at Tbilisi airport. Twelve days after the elections, final official results have not yet been announced by the elections board and thousands of people have demonstrated in support of opposition claims of fraud and demanding Shevardnadze’s resignation. The Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) said on 3 November that the election was marred by many irregularities. GeorgiaEurope – Central Asia News Help by sharing this information Concern about alleged plot to murder Georgian TV host June 18, 2020 Find out more
12 Sep 2014 Golden girl Amanda wins again Golden girl Amanda Mayne is a super senior who keeps on winning! Days after helping the England senior women’s team to become European champions, she has picked up an individual prize with superb sub-par golf.The international player from Somerset won the women’s scratch event at the England Golf Senior Men and Women’s South Tournament at West Sussex Golf Club where she played the 36-holes in seven-under par.Amanda (pictured top) amassed a total of 79 stableford points (38, 41) and won the scratch prize by the impressive margin of 13 points. “It was just brilliant to win the European gold and I seem to have brought some good form back with me!” she said.The scratch golfer, who had just one bogey in 36 holes, was playing in the event for the first time. Her next target is the British seniors’ championship at Royal Dornoch, which starts on Tuesday.Amanda (Saltford) was joined in the winners’ circle by Fiona Crampton-Smith (Porters Park, Hertfordshire) who won the women’s handicap prize with 80 points; while players from Brokenhurst Manor in Hampshire won the men’s prizes, with Nick Rogers taking the scratch with 62 points and John Astin, the handicap with 73 points.Fiona Crampton-Smith was on the reserve list until a couple of days ago and made the most of her late entry into the event: “I have had two really good days, I’m chuffed, absolutely delighted.”She clinched her win in style, with an eagle three on the last, after she hit a rescue wood to within 4ft of the hole. “I thought I was laying up! It was rather nice,” she laughed. It was a complete reversal of the first day, when she blobbed the hole after finding the heather.“It’s lovely to do well and to win, but I am especially delighted to have cut my handicap on both days,” she added. Fiona expects to be cut from 12 to 10 as a result of her play over the two days.Nick Rogers started his rounds on both days with a pair of birdies and commented: “I’m extremely pleased, I’ve had a bit of an up and down time over the last year or two and it’s nice to stop the decline with a decent result.”Nick, who plays for Hampshire seniors, was a British and England boy international and still holds a three-handicap. He was one of a contingent of eight Brokenhurst members who made the trip to West Sussex and he commented: “It’s such a good golf course, such a fair course and the facilities are terrific. It’s a lovely venue and worth the effort.”John Astin was one of the early starters and had a long wait to be confirmed as a winner. “I’m amazed and more than pleased,” he said, as his challengers fell by the wayside.John, who was a Hampshire senior, was particularly pleased with his performance on the greens. “I had a nightmare on the putting surface before this event. Last week I took 79 putts over two rounds, so I’m very pleased with my result. In the first round I had just 30 putts, which is good for me.”He added: “It’s a wonderful course and I entered when a club colleague suggested it because it’s one of the courses I wanted to play before I pop my clogs!”
This event is over. To listen to the teleconference click the following linkMEDIA ADVISORY FOR:Teleconference on “Mandela Day” CelebrationsTuesday, July 16th at 10:30 a.m. EasternCONTACT:Simon Barber: [email protected] +1 (202) 276-50846Alec Saslow: [email protected] +1 (202) 789-7751MEDIA ADVISORYAmbassador of South Africa, Congressional Black Caucus Chair andTransAfrica to Preview Nationwide Celebration of Nelson Mandela’s 95th BirthdayTeleconference Tuesday, July 16 to Discuss “Mandela Day” EventsWashington, DC – The South African Embassy, the Coalition of Black Trade Unionists (CBTU) and TransAfrica — the Washington-based human rights organization that helped compel the U.S. government to act against apartheid in South Africa nearly 30 years ago – will co-host a teleconference on Tuesday, July 16th facilitated by Brand South Africa to outline the nationwide events to honor and celebrate “Mandela Day.”Coordinated by the embassy, TransAfrica and CBTU, events in Washington DC and 17 cities around the United States will celebrate Nelson Mandela’s 95th birthday on Thursday, July 18 with members of the original anti-apartheid and Free South Africa Movement, special guests and performances.WHAT: Teleconference to discuss “Mandela Day” eventsWHO: Ebrahim Rasool, South African Ambassador to the United StatesNicole Lee, President of TransAfricaCongresswoman Marcia Fudge (D-Ohio), Chair, Congressional Black Caucus, Bill Lucy President Emeritus of CBTUWHEN: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 10:30 a.m. Eastern (4:30 p.m. in Johannesburg)CALL-IN: 785-424-1052, Toll Free: 800-894-5910Toll Free from South Africa: 080-098-1020Conference ID: MANDELAPlease click here to sign-up if you plan to attend.ABOUT EBRAHIM RASOOLAmbassador Ebrahim Rasool is South Africa’s Ambassador to the United States of America. Before joining the Embassy, his most recent positions have included Member of Parliament in the National Assembly, Special Advisor to the State President of the Republic of South Africa and Premier (governor of the Western Cape Province). Ambassador Rasool has a long history of involvement in the anti-apartheid struggle starting at high school and including leadership in the United Democratic Front (UDF) and the African National Congress (ANC).ABOUT MARCIA FUDGECongresswoman Marcia L. Fudge represents the 11th District of Ohio. She is a committed public servant who brings a hard-working, problem-solving spirit to Congress and to the task of creating jobs, attacking predatory lending, and improving health care, small business and education. She served as Warrensville Heights’ first African American female Mayor, and, in 2012, the Congresswoman was unanimously elected by her colleagues to serve as the Chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus in the 113th Congress.ABOUT NICOLE LEENicole Lee is a lawyer, human rights expert and, since December 2006, the first female President of TransAfrica. She has conducted human rights investigations and missions documenting violations of human rights and dignity of the world’s most vulnerable populations. Ms. Lee has testified before Congress on international policy issues affecting Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean and racial minorities worldwide. She has been featured on television and radio programs across the globe, including ABC’s 20/20, CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360 and the PBS Newshour.ABOUT BILL LUCYBill Lucy is President Emeritus of the Coalition of Black Trade Unionists (CBTU). Mr. Lucy is a member of the AFL-CIO Executive Council and the first African American elected as president of Public Services International (PSI), the world’s largest labor federation. Mr. Lucy worked closely with Dr. King during the strike by sanitation workers in Memphis in 1968. He was also one of the founders of the Free South Africa Movement that launched the successful anti-apartheid campaign in the U.S. in the mid-1980s. Mr. Lucy was honored with the Nelson Mandela Award for his contribution to South Africa’s freedom earlier this month.
The family of an Assamese man, who was declared a foreigner in 2017, and died in a detention centre earlier this month, performed his last rites on Tuesday evening, ending a nine-day impasse over his body.The mentally-challenged Dulal Paul, 65, died in detention as a ‘declared foreigner’ on October 13. However, his family, which is based in Sonitpur district’s Alisinga village, refused to accept his body unless the BJP-led State government certified him as an Indian.His wife and three sons were adamant about not receiving the body till the State reversed the tribunal’s decision. But a faction of the All- Assam Bengali Youth Students’ Federation allegedly exerted pressure on them and brokered a deal with the government.“Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has assured us that he will help fight my father’s case in the Supreme Court to remove the foreigner tag from him and our family and form a committee to review the cases of all people declared Bangladeshis,” his son Ashish Paul said after the cremation.“We hope the Chief Minister and the BJP government will keep their word,” he added.
Bengaluru FC were held to a goalless draw by NorthEast United in their opening game at home, but unfortunate against FC Goa where only an unfortunate tackle in injury time helped Goa equalise through a penalty. Against Jamshedpur FC, though, heroics from Subrata Paul denied Bengaluru a goal. The lack of goals have not helped them even as their defence has been solid.Matchday! 🇧🇷👊💪 #BENCHE pic.twitter.com/eBBJU8WAWo— Raphael Augusto Santos (@Raphael_A12) November 10, 2019 Chennaiyin FC’s profligate finishing and poor decision-making up front has cost them so far as they are yet to find a goal. Chennaiyin do have players like Anirudh Thapa and Rafael Crivellaro who can influence proceedings from the midfield. However, it remains to be seen if they can translate that ability on the field against another strong team who are desperate for a win themselves.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Southampton rival PSG for Lille midfielder Thiago Mendesby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton are amongst the scramble for Lille midfielder Thiago Mendes.Telefoot says Lille are prepared to sell Mendes this month and have set a price of €30m for the Brazilian.PSG, in the market for a new midfield addition, are in contact, but face stiff competition.Southampton are keen, with Wolfsburg and several Chinese clubs also in contact.
Man City boss Guardiola reveals new squad additionby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City youngster Taylor Harwood-Bellis has been officially promoted to the first-team squad.City boss Pep Guardiola confirmed the news on Saturday.“From now on, he will train with us,” Guardiola said of the 17 year-old. “Whether he will play or not, we’ll see.“The guys from the academy spoke really well about him before pre-season.“I saw in pre-season. He is aggressive, he wins duels, he pays attention.“ About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
DURHAM, NC – FEBRUARY 28: Luke Kennard #5 of the Duke Blue Devils reacts after a play during their game against the Florida State Seminoles at Cameron Indoor Stadium on February 28, 2017 in Durham, North Carolina. (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)Duke will be counting on several true freshmen to help the program defend its national championship next season. One of them is five-star shooting guard Luke Kennard.The Blue Devils’ team Instagram account posted video tonight of Kennard throwing down an alley-oop to himself off the backboard with one hand. Pretty impressive. Duke fans are no doubt hoping to see some of that in game action this year.
Sirsa: Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Sunday exhorted the people to embrace the ideology propounded by Sikhism founder Guru Nanak Dev in its true spirit. He said the message of love, compassion, equality, peace and brotherhood that Guru Nanak promoted all his life holds extreme relevance even today. “..The message given by Guru Nanak Dev ji is as relevant today as it was during his time,” Khattar said here addressing a state-level function organised in the build-up to the 550th birth anniversary celebrations of Guru Nanak. The chief minister exhorted the people to participate in the celebrations through the year with full enthusiasm and gaiety, regardless of caste, colour, creed and religion. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’He announced that 9.75 acres land would be transferred to the Gurudwara Chilla Sahib in Sirsa where Guru Nanak Dev had spent over 4 months during one of his journeys. “Ownership rights of the land, which at present rests with the state government, would be transferred in the name of Gurudwara,” he said. He said the state government would provide all support and cooperation to the Gurudwara Chilla Sahib for starting projects of public welfare. He also announced to establish a Sikh Museum in Kurukshetra as an inspiration to the young generation. Khattar said that 400 posts of Punjabi teachers would be advertised soon to fill up the vacancies. Congratulating a large number of priests, saints and devotees who had converged in Sirsa not only from Haryana but also from other states, the chief minister emphasized that “education will not serve its purpose till the time moral values and good thoughts are instilled among the children”.
WINNIPEG – An investigation has found that a Winnipeg police officer who suffered a life-threatening leg injury when his gun accidentally discharged did not have his hand near the weapon when it went off.The tactical support team member had just finished a firearms training exercise earlier this month when he stopped at a restaurant to get lunch.Police say he was holding his meal when his holstered gun spontaneously fired as he was getting back into his vehicle.Three arteries in his lower leg were severed.He applied a special tourniquet with the help of his partner to stop rapid and significant blood loss, and two nearby team members helped stabilize the injury.The officer remains in hospital and the investigation into what happened continues.