November 25, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Win Tin and 12 other journalists still in prison despite anticipated release Follow the news on Myanmar MyanmarAsia – Pacific RSF asks Germany to let Myanmar journalist Mratt Kyaw Thu apply for asylum News Thai premier, UN rapporteurs asked to prevent journalists being returned to Myanmar Receive email alerts MyanmarAsia – Pacific RSF_en News Help by sharing this information Authorities confirm that Win Tin is to be freed The military junta’s deputy foreign minister, Kyaw Thu, told the news agency Reuters today that journalist and dissident Win Tin (picture) is indeed on the list of some 4,000 prisoners who are in the process of being released. “We would not have decreed it without really having the intention to release them. (…) If we fail to keep our word, then we will face more pressure, not only from our side, but from the West,” he told Reuters.________________________________________________________23.11.2004Win Tin and 12 other journalists still in prison despite anticipated releaseReporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association called on the prime minister Soe Win to keep his promise and quickly release renowned journalist Win Tin and 12 other journalist prisoners.Win Tin was still in his special cell at Insein Prison in Rangoon, despite news put out on 19 November that his name was on a list of prisoners whom the military junta was about to release.Several media and other organisations even reported on 20 November that the 74-year-old Win Tin, arrested on 4 July 1989 and serving a 20-year sentence, had already been freed.Win Tin’s friends told Reporters Without Borders that neither the prison nor military authorities had told them about any early release.Speculation about freedom for political prisoners followed an 18 November announcement that nearly 4,000 prisoners were to be freed because of “irregularities” on the part of military intelligence, headed by former prime minister, Gen. Khin Nyunt.Appealing for the release of Win Tin and 12 other journalists, the two press freedom organisations said, “They were all sentenced for false reasons and at unfair trials. They should all benefit from the decision to release prisoners detained unfairly by former secret service heads.”As at 23 November 2004, at least 13 journalists were in jail in Burma: Aung Pwint, Sein Ohn, Myint Thein, Thaung Tun, Win Tin, Monywa Aung-Shin, Ohn Kyaing, Sein Hla Oo, Thein Tan, Nay Min, Lazing La Htoi, Zaw Thet Htwe and Aung Myint.Sports journalist Zaw Thet Htwe, editor of the First Eleven, was sentenced on appeal in May 2004 to three years in prison. His arrest was believed linked to the success of the sports magazine, specialising in football, and for its independent editorial line. Amnesty International and Reporters Without Borders have collected thousands of signatures on an appeal for his release.The military junta released four journalists in 2003 but has still not freed journalist Sein Hla Oo whose seven-year prison sentence officially ended in August 2001.For more information about imprisoned Burmese journalists see: www.rsf.org et www.bma-online.net. to go further US journalist held in Yangon prison notorious for torture Organisation News May 26, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association urged the primeminister to promptly free Win Tin and 12 journalist colleagues, imprisonedlike him for their articles and reporting. The military authorities havefailed to release the renowned journalist despite reports circulating since19 November that he was about to get back his freedom. News May 31, 2021 Find out more May 12, 2021 Find out more
AudioHomepage BannerNews Google+ By News Highland – July 29, 2019 News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Facebook Pinterest Previous articleDetails of new 100 million euro funding for beef farmers announcedNext article‘We are heading for a no-deal Brexit’ – Donaldson News Highland Full public display of final ten-t routes later this year Google+ FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Twitter Pinterest DL Debate – 24/05/21 WhatsApp Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Twitter Facebook Donegal County Council says there will be a full public display of the final routes once decisions are taken on the Ten-T roads network later this year.Responding to questions from Cllr Donal Coyle, senior engineers said there won’t be any more public consultations, but members will bebriefed and plan’s will be published.Cllr Coyle is welcoming the commitment, but says his focus remains securing the Bonagee Link and new bridge over the Swilly.Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/cvcggfhgfhgfoyletent.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.
The Indiana High School Athletic Association staunchly supports our Governor, our State Commissioner of Health and our State Superintendent of Public Instruction in their herculean efforts during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are extremely fortunate in Indiana to have these exemplary leaders providing guidance and care to all Hoosiers.With the announcement today of the closure of K-12 schools throughout Indiana for the remainder of the school year, the IHSAA announces the cancellation of all spring sports tournament series events for the 2019-20 school year.It is imperative that our students, coaches, officials, administrators, and parents be encouraged in every manner to adhere to the guidance provided by our leadership. The Association understands the extreme seriousness of this pandemic and joins in support of current measures being implemented as well as future considerations. In unwavering support yet with extreme sadness, we must cancel our spring sports programming. We join all Hoosiers in anticipation of a triumphant homecoming back to our schools in the fall of 2020 complete with a full complement of IHSAA sports.The Association continues to remind its member schools and the general public to follow the guidance of the governor and the Indiana State Department of Health via IN.gov/coronavirus.
Chelsea were this morning assessing the condition of striker Fernando Torres, who missed training yesterday because of illness.The Spaniard is expected to be passed fit to join the Blues squad for Saturday’s match against Bolton.Torres is likely to be among the substitutes at Stamford Bridge, where Chelsea will be looking for their first win in six games.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Science in Africa is to come under the spotlight through the AU Scientific Awards. (Image: Nasa)Two South African scientists have walked off with top honours at the inaugural African Union Scientific Awards. The awards programme was launched in September 2009, and the laureates were announced earlier in 2010.Witwatersrand University’s (Wits) Professor Diane Hildebrandt and Professor Patrick Eriksson of Pretoria University were singled out for the prestigious honour from 48 entries sent in from all over Africa.Two categories were judged – Life and Earth Sciences, which Eriksson won; and Basic Science, Technology and Innovation, which Hindebrandt won. Each received a prize worth US$100 000 (R731 061).President Jacob Zuma was quick to applaud the achievement of the two scientists during the awards ceremony, which took place in Addis Ababa during the 14th AU summit.“I say with pride that South Africans continue to display excellence in various fields in the international arena,” said the president.“On behalf of the South African people I wish to congratulate Professor Hildebrandt and Professor Eriksson, and wish them well in their endeavours to make Africa and the world a better place to live.”Top achieverHildebrandt, one of South Africa’s top chemical engineers, is a professor of sustainable process engineering in the School of Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering, and is also co-director at the university’s Centre for Optimisation Modelling and Process Synthesis.She started her career as a process engineer at South Africa’s fuel giant Sasol and obtained her BSc, MSc and PhD in chemical engineering from Wits University. Her career at her alma mater now spans more than 20 years.Hildebrandt was the first woman chemical engineer to earn an A rating from the National Research Foundation. A prolific author, she has more than 50 papers to her name.Winning awards is not a novelty for her – she’s already been honoured with the Vice-Chancellor’s Researcher of the Year Award in 2002; the Bill Neale-May Gold Medal of the South African Institute of Chemical Engineers in 2000; the Meiring Naudé medal of the Royal Society of South Africa in 1997; the Distinguished Researcher Award of the University of the Witwatersrand in 1996; and the President’s Award of the Foundation for Research and Development in 1996 and 2010.“I’m grateful for the award and look forward to making further contributions to Africa and its development,” she said in an interview with University World News, adding that there are many scientists who strive to improve conditions for all Africans, often under difficult circumstances.Internationally respectedEriksson is head of Pretoria University’s Geology Department, a post he has held since 2006. He joined the department as a lecturer in 1982 and rose to a professorship 12 years later. Eriksson completed his PhD in 1984 and obtained a higher doctorate from Ludwig-Maximilian University in Munich in 1998.He lectures in sedimentology and his research focuses on the evolution of Precambrian (sedimentary) basins. He is a member of the New York Academy of Sciences and a Fellow of the Geological Society of Africa, and still finds time to act as editor-in-chief of the Journal of African Earth Sciences.The National Research Foundation gave him an A research rating in 2007.Well respected on an international level, he founded the Global Precambrian Sedimentation Syndicate in 1997, an informal working group comprising 16 eminent scientists from South Africa, the US, UK, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Brazil, Australia, and India.Accepting the AU award, Eriksson paid tribute to his peers on the continent.Boosting African scienceThe AU Scientific Awards programme is aimed at inspiring the continent’s best minds to bigger and better achievements, and also celebrates their efforts to boost entrepreneurship in science and research, attract investment into African science, and establish scientific centres of excellence in Africa.The African Academy of Sciences, Twas (formerly the Third World Academy of Sciences) bureau in Africa, and the Network of African Science Academies adjudicated the awards.Winners are selected according to several criteria, including the number of publications they have written or co-written, the number of graduate research students they have mentored, and the relevance of their work in tackling the challenges facing the African continent as well as the ease of application.Besides the AU Science Award, also up for grabs are the AU Young Scientist Award, handed out on a national level to promising researchers under 35 years of age, and the AU Woman Scientist Award, which is region-based. These prizes fall into the same two categories as the main accolade.
Johannesburg – Thursday 19th September 2019 – Brand South Africa has partnered with Touch HD and Soweto TV, to host the first ever soccer match aptly named the Game of Heritage, Pride and Unity on Heritage Day, 24th of September.The game is the brain child of media personality Thabo Molefe, fondly known as Tbo Touch. He established an online audio platform in 2008 with a vision to be a world class service that provides podcast and audio live streaming services that bring the benefits of low data rates to the market.Speaking on the game, Thabo says “Nothing draws people together more than sport and soccer is huge in South Africa. We want to celebrate Heritage Day not just through embracing our different cultures (something that makes SA so beautiful) but through doing something that brings about a spirit of unity and patriotism through the friendly game of soccer between South African celebrities and sports icons”.“Brand South Africa is proud to be part of the inaugural Game of heritage, pride and unity. As an organisation we have to consistently find ways that promote nation building, pride and patriotism in order to unite the people of South Africa and this collaboration helps achieve our mission. Sport has the ability to unite nations and what better way to also showcase our diverse and colourful heritage,” said Brand South Africa’s Acting Chief Marketing Officer Ms Sithembile Ntombela.Cultural pride will be in the air with different proudly South African pop up shops and stalls selling everything cultural from clothes, food, art and jewellery. Spectators are encouraged to come dressed in ways that represent their pride in their heritage and country.Kick off will take place at the Nike Football Training Centre in Soweto in Soweto from 11am. Gates open at 10am.Entrance on the day is a South African Flag. These will also be available on sale at the venueJoin the celebration and follow us on #GameofHeritage #PlayYourPart #HeritageMonth2019 #InspiringNewWays
Former NFL linebacker Khaseem Greene/WikipediaELIZABETH, N.J. (AP) — A former NFL linebacker says in a lawsuit that police and prosecutors in New Jersey knew a shooter had lied about getting a weapon from the player but charged him anyway.A gun charge against Khaseem Greene was dropped in July after an audio recording surfaced of the other man telling detectives he lied about Greene’s involvement in a shooting outside a nightclub in Elizabeth in December 2016.The Kansas City Chiefs released Greene the day charges against him were reported.The other man’s admission came the day he told detectives Greene was involved. But it wasn’t included in a criminal complaint that alleged Greene was seen on camera handing him a gun.The suit, filed Tuesday, names the Elizabeth Police Department, and the Union County Prosecutors Office. Messages seeking comment left with the agencies weren’t immediately returned.
Related Items:flow, manchester united, partnership Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Flow in TCI says many areas up and running, encourages reports to 611 FLOW Mobile Top Up Made Easy with Scotiabank Young Footballers from Antigua and Trinidad emerge as winners of Flow Ultimate Football Experience Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, Jamaica (March 9, 2016) – Cable & Wireless’s retail brand Flow has delivered yet another major landmark deal in the Caribbean with Manchester United. The deal between Manchester United and Flow, the only telecoms provider in the region with extensive partnership and broadcast rights for the world’s most popular football club was officially launched in Kingston, on Thursday, February 18.Flow will also have exclusive distribution rights of the dedicated MUTV channel in the region. This will give Flow subscribers access to exclusive Manchester United programming as well as behind-the-scenes access to the club, starting with the upcoming 2016/17 Premier League season.As the region’s leading quad-play operator, Flow will also enable access to Manchester United content “on the go” via mobile, tablets and desktop devices. Fans will be able to access Manchester United’s Red Alerts and download the Manchester United App. Manchester United is an industry leader making an excellent fit with C&W as the Caribbean’s most innovative operator providing products and services across multiple platforms. The Manchester United partnership provides Caribbean fans with unique experiences including the chance to win tickets to Manchester United games, signed merchandise, as well as interaction with Manchester United Legends.John Reid, C&W’s President Consumer Group welcomed the exciting regional partnership and said, “This deal with Manchester United is certainly paving the way for Flow to truly become the undisputed Home of Sports in the Caribbean. FLOW is bringing sports fans closer to football through our new association with the biggest club in the world. With Flow and Manchester United, we can truly say, ‘together we are in a different league.’”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, May 4, 2017 – Providenciales – The #15 bodies which were retrieved from TCI waters after a suspected illegal Haitian boat capsized in waters off Provo in January are returned home now; left the country yesterday on a chartered flight to the tune of $30,000. Haitian Consular, #Wencesclass Lambert told media in a debriefing this afternoon that the full bill was paid by the Haitian government. Lambert was thankful to the Turks and Caicos Government for its assistance in getting the bodies of the seven men and eight women home, adding that the repatriation of the deceased Haitians was not sooner because bodies were only recently released to the Government of Haiti in mid-April; they were being held at the TCI morgue. The diplomat, who is stationed in Providenciales, took the opportunity to discourage illegal residency by his people and said he believes the illegal migration of Haitians to the TCI is a part of a more sinister human smuggling ring which the Haitian government is currently investigating.#MagneticMediaNews#15bodiesflownbacktoHaiti#WencesclassLambert Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#15bodiesflownbacktoHaiti, #magneticmedianews, #WencesclassLambert