No-confidence motion ruling…calls on Govt to follow all requirements outlined in the Constitution of Guyana…says democratic procedures, rule of law must be respected, upheld…as Private Sector blasts Govt for not respecting, honouring Chief Justice’s decisionLocal and international pressure continues to mount on Government, as President David Granger is yet to announce a date for early elections.European Union Ambassador to Guyana, Jernej VidetičThis time, both the European Union (EU) and the Private Sector Commission (PSC) are warning of the need for constitutional compliance.In a statement on Monday, the EU’s local mission revealed that it was keeping an eye on developments following the vote. The EU urged that democratic procedures and the rule of law be respected and upheld.The EU also called for free and fair elections to be held and for the Guyana Government to follow all requirements outlined in the Constitution of Guyana following the December 21, 2018 no-confidence vote.Since acting Chief Justice Roxane George upheld the no-confidence vote on January 31, Government has said it will appeal. According to the EU, it is best if these appeals are expedited, hinting that foreign investments into Guyana are being held up by the political uncertainty.United Nations Resident Coordinator Mikiko Tanaka“The Delegation of the European Union calls on all concerned bodies and stakeholders to uphold the Constitution, respecting democratic procedures and the rule of law. Procedures should be managed efficiently, with openness and transparency.“In this regard, the Delegation of the European Union hopes that the further legal process can be expedited, for the benefit of Guyana, its people and its development, in view of pending Foreign Direct Investments.”The EU also lauded the High Court, which fast-tracked the no-confidence cases to ensure a ruling by January month end. The statement also expressed expectations for free and fair elections being held in line with the Constitution of Guyana.Article 106 of the Constitution says that elections must be held within three months after a no-confidence vote is passed. Such a vote was passed on December 21, 2018, but since then there has been uncertainty about the Guyana Elections Commission’s readiness.Government has since said it is not resigning until its efforts to overturn the no-confidence vote are adjudicated at the level of the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ).It was only a few days ago that United Nations Resident Coordinator Mikiko Tanaka also urged Government to respect the Constitution of Guyana. Guyana’s PSC had also previously called for GECOM to open up about its readiness for elections.PSCPrivate Sector Commission Chairman Desmond SearsAs uncertainty continues to swirl over when elections will actually be held, the PSC in a strongly worded statement on Monday said it was growing increasingly concerned over the Government’s insistence on business as usual while it appeals the no-confidence cases it lost.According to the PSC, these statements being made by the Government and its representatives are a matter of concern since the High Court has already refused Government’s request for a stay of judgment.“The statement issued by the Government’s Department of Public Information clearly and, it appears, with deliberate intent, flies in the face of the decision of the Chief Justice. The ‘status quo’, meaning that nothing has changed, simply does not remain and the business of Government does not continue ‘as usual’. There have since been similar misleading statements made by senior members of the governing party, which add to the Commission’s concern,” the PSC stated.“We must underline the fact that when the Attorney General sought a conservatory order from the Chief Justice to preserve the ‘status quo ante’, his application was rejected … Clearly, therefore, in the view of the Commission, her ruling remains in place unless successfully appealed in a superior court. The Commission, as a consequence, expects the President and his Government to respect and honour the decision of the Chief Justice.”In this vein, the PSC made it clear that Government must ensure elections are held no later than March 21, 2019 as required by Article 106 (7) of the Constitution of Guyana. It also reminded that the Chief Justice in her decision upheld Article 106 (6) and (7) of the Constitution, which state that the Government, while remaining in office with the President in place, does so without a functioning Cabinet.“The Private Sector Commission speaks not only for the business community with hundreds of billions invested in the development of our economy and the employment of some 60 per cent of our workforce. In this case, we believe that we speak for the majority of the nation when we express our concern over public statements which deny the express ruling of the Chief Justice, statements which could lead our country into a situation of grave instability and an illegal government resulting,” the PSC said.In addition, the Commission threw its support behind both the EU and the UN for throwing their weight behind calls for the Constitution of Guyana to be respected, the rule of law upheld and for free and fair elections.Government fell to the no-confidence vote on December 21 last year. Article 106 (6) of the Constitution of Guyana states: “The Cabinet including the President shall resign if the Government is defeated by the vote of a majority of all the elected members of the National Assembly on a vote of confidence.”Meanwhile, 106 (7) goes on to state that, “Notwithstanding its defeat, the Government shall remain in office and shall hold an election within three months, or such longer period as the National Assembly shall by resolution supported by not less than two-thirds of the votes of all the elected members of the National Assembly determine, and shall resign after the President takes the oath of office following the election.”Both the National Assembly and the High Court have refused Government’s attempts and arguments to overturn the no-confidence vote. Despite this, however, President Granger is yet to indicate a date for elections. GECOM successfully ran the Local Government Elections (LGE) in November 2018, less than three months ago.It is the President of Guyana, who has to give a date for elections and not GECOM as being touted. The President of Guyana, according to the Constitution, has to dissolve Parliament and issue a date for elections.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Airports Authority commanded to protect South Caicos airport by airline Related Items:fire truck, Intercaribbean Airways, south caicos airport, trevor sadler Recommended for you Turks and Caicos airline, ICA, now flies to Havana Airports Authority reveals sabotage at South Caicos Airport Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 13 May 2015 – No fire trucks at the South Caicos airport and it has forced a two day closure of the airport and a cancellation of flights into that southern island. InterCaribbean Airways, General Manager Trevor Sadler yesterday issued an apology for the sudden stoppage of their flights promising no penalties. “We at InterCaribbean Airways apologize for the inconvenience this cause, however the circumstances are beyond our control. We will work to assist you in moving to an alternate flight date without penalties or change fees.” The Turks and Caicos Airports Authority ordered that closure.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, September 6, 2016 – Residents have expressed outrage to Magnetic Media that a man convicted of one of the most frightening and infamous home invasions of about a decade ago, was on the weekend released after serving his time without notice to the general public. Robert Jackson, who had appealed the conviction and claimed he was framed with fabricated evidence in the case where a Blue Mountain couple was terrorized, robbed and the woman rapped is now a free man. Civilians had joined in the search for Jackson, who was born in Grand Turk and raised in the US but returned to the TCI after committing a serious felony in the United States. Jackson reportedly not remorseful, Officials contacted At the time, then Commissioner Edward Hall said there was nothing to be done about the return of Jackson to the Turks and Caicos despite his Haitian parentage. It was expressed to Magnetic Media that the public should have been notified of the release of Jackson, who in 2008 turned himself in after a national manhunt was launched. Robert ‘Black’ Jackson was not alone on the night in question, the second man, was never caught it appears. Recommended for you At this point, Jackson has served his time and hopefully he has changed his ways. Related Items:Blue Mountain couple terrorized, Robert Jackson, TCI residents concerned about release of 2008 most wanted man
Nearly 30 Haitians caught following illegal landing in Nassau, says Defence Force Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#MagneticNewsMedia TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA Recommended for you Bahamas Police Commissioner Greenslade gone to UK, appointed as High Commissioner Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppSalt Cay, TCI, January 16, 2017 – Salt Cay residents gave the governor their big demands before the start of 2017 and they included infrastructural development on the tiny island, which holds an historic legacy in this archipelago. Residents in fact told the Governor, Dr John Freeman and his wife, Corinna that they believe Salt Cay should be enlisted as a UNESCO World Heritage site due to its fantastic salt industry era. The governor in a community meeting, heard about the deplorable state of the airport runway, the degradation of the sea walls and residents even asked for a tarmac road for the island. With the District Commissioner, Almaida Wilson as his guide, HE took a tour, visited the airfield and sea protections and hosted a lunch himself for the DC, Police Officer on island and the local nurse. Governor Dr Freeman and Mrs Freeman also had time to spread some holiday cheer to visitors to Salt Cay during the visit on December 28.Residents have one more month to comment on significant changes to the National Parks Ordinance and you can view the changes online or pick up a hard copy from your local DECR Office. The director of the Department said in a media statement that the changes include: “expansion, removal, and creation of new areas under protection, as well as re-designating existing areas under different categories of protection.” It is a big body of work, with 35 pages of changes to the law and another 48 pages of maps. Go to Gov dot TC forward slash, DEMA to review the information online. Comments can be oral, written or sent in by email. #MagneticNewsMedia
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, May 4, 2017 – Providenciales – The #15 bodies which were retrieved from TCI waters after a suspected illegal Haitian boat capsized in waters off Provo in January are returned home now; left the country yesterday on a chartered flight to the tune of $30,000. Haitian Consular, #Wencesclass Lambert told media in a debriefing this afternoon that the full bill was paid by the Haitian government. Lambert was thankful to the Turks and Caicos Government for its assistance in getting the bodies of the seven men and eight women home, adding that the repatriation of the deceased Haitians was not sooner because bodies were only recently released to the Government of Haiti in mid-April; they were being held at the TCI morgue. The diplomat, who is stationed in Providenciales, took the opportunity to discourage illegal residency by his people and said he believes the illegal migration of Haitians to the TCI is a part of a more sinister human smuggling ring which the Haitian government is currently investigating.#MagneticMediaNews#15bodiesflownbacktoHaiti#WencesclassLambert Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#15bodiesflownbacktoHaiti, #magneticmedianews, #WencesclassLambert
Toulouse centre-back Jean-Clair Todibo’s arrival at Barcelona has been brought forward, despite having previously agreed to wait until the summer.The Catalan giants previously announced they had signed Todibo for next season on a free transfer from Ligue 1 side Toulouse as his contract was up in June.After lengthy negotiations with Toulouse, however, Barcelona have now confirmed that the 19-year-old will instead arrive six months earlier than planned with Toulouse set to receive a small transfer fee as compensation.The French youngster will take the No. 6 jersey at Barcelona, which was previously worn by midfielder Denis Suarez before he left for Arsenal on a loan deal on Thursday.“FC Barcelona and Toulouse FC have come to an agreement over the French player Jean-Clair Todibo, with whom the Blaugrana had agreed a transfer from July 1 2019,” read a statement on the club website.“The agreement signed includes the immediate arrival of the French player, who will sign a contract with the club for the next four and a half seasons, until the end of the 2022-23 campaign.“The French player will wear the number six. A shirt which players like Guillermo Amor, Xavi Hernandez, Dani Alves and Denis Suarez, the last to use it, have worn.”Todibo is regarded as one of Europe’s most exciting young talents and has already represented France at U20 level.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.Since graduating through the youth ranks at Toulouse, Todibo had inserted himself as a key member of the squad after debuting in club’s 2-1 win over rivals Bordeaux in August during the Derby de la Garonne.Todibo had since made a further nine league appearances and scored his first goal for the senior team in a 1-1 draw at Rennes in September.But the teenager found himself forced out of the squad after refusing to sign a new contract, which opened the door for an early exit.Todibo will be presented as a Barcelona player later today.ICYMI: Jean-Clair Todibo (@jctodibo) transfer to FC Barcelona brought forward[+] https://t.co/RwuOVHMKdE pic.twitter.com/GYCkKIRJk1— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) February 1, 2019
Dan Cohen AUTHOR San Antonio is cultivating the largest military and civilian federal cybersecurity hub outside the Washington metro region, marked by growth in the number of companies serving the market and highly-rated university programs, according to the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation.The military components of the city’s cybersecurity cluster are anchored by the 24th and 25th Air Force at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, and the National Security Agency Texas. The 24th Air Force safeguards key components of DOD’s information networks and employs more than 1,300 people. U.S. Cyber Command officials last year said up to 1,000 additional personnel will be coming to San Antonio in the next three years to support the department’s cybersecurity mission.“The strength of San Antonio’s cybersecurity industry is evident in the community’s commitment to grow and foster a sector for which it is ideally suited,” said John Dickson, principal at the San Antonio-based Denim Group. “Locally based companies are continuing to grow at a rate of 30 percent per year and innovative technologies are the result,” Dickson said.The city’s cybersecurity cluster is supported by more than 200 companies, including all major defense contractors and 100 local cybersecurity firms. San Antonio’s established military operations, along with academic programs at area universities, and talent and business incubators are helping the cybersecurity industry flourish in San Antonio. “San Antonio is a breeding ground for cybersecurity resources, a place where technologies are being developed and enhanced to defend the nation, and a work force is being built to support the cybersecurity technology industry — the fastest growing area of advanced technology investment in the world,” said Mario Hernandez, president of the foundation.