KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – An opposition legislator says he intends to move a motion that will allow for the use of Jamaican expletives in dancehall.“This motion is important because this is our culture. Too many aspects of our culture have been unnecessarily vilified. These little things, these words contribute to the uniqueness of the Jamaican culture and is what sets us apart from countries across the world,” Dr Andre Haughton, told the Observer newspaper.He said he was influenced to do this after police warned Japanese sound system, Mighty Crown, not to use profanity during the Fully Loaded show earlier this month.The opposition legislator told the newspaper that he believes the dancehall space should be a place where artistes can express themselves and those who attend should be aware of what to expect.“When I say the dancehall space, I mean anywhere, wherever you can go get a permit and keep a party. We want to make it like how you have X-rated movies, that way people already know what dem a sign up for,” he said, noting that there are few people in Jamaica who are affected by the use of these ‘bad words’.Haughton said overseas these words are considered comical, noting “there are a lot of people who these words don’t affect in a negative or positive way.In July, Reggae Sumfest’s Dancehall Night was halted by police due to profanity during the performance of one of the singers and in the past the Trinidad-born US-based hip hop artiste Nicki Minaj was fined for using profanity on stage during her performance.“Jamaican people need to start focusing on substance over form. A lot of things here are just form with no real substance. People across the world a have how much festival and products with our culture an’ a profit off it while we vilify these harmless words,” he told the Observer newspaper.
120 Italian gaming licenses have been made available on a first come first served basis. Legislators have launched a bidding process, with around 40 licenses expected to be issued to operators already present in the country’s gaming market looking to renew existing licenses.Operators will be able to apply for licences in a number of gambling activities, such as sports betting, slots, bingo and casino. However, the governing body stipulates that if an operator does not already hold a European Union sanctioned online gaming license for the Italian market, with a minimum turnover of €1.5 million for a period of two years, it will be forced to secure an additional €1.5 million bank guarantees. The deadline for the filing of the applications is 19th March and the applications will be opened on 19th April. Once the applications are filed there is usually a three to five month period from the application to the award of the license.Operators wishing to take part in the bidding process must pay a €200,000 participation fee, with the process intended to raise €24 million in revenues for the state.The prospect of applying for an Italian gaming license has been made more attractive by the recently-altered tax regime. Any issued licences will be valid until December 31st 2022, with operators including Winamax, Marathonbet and Pinnacle already expressing an interest in obtaining a licence. Björn Nilsson: How Triggy is delivering digestible data through pre-set triggers August 28, 2020 Related Articles Danske Spil calls for esports makeover with Pinnacle Solution August 25, 2020 Submit Share SBC Awards: The key to an effective submission August 28, 2020 StumbleUpon Share
StumbleUpon Submit Share Smarkets gains green light to enter Swedish market July 28, 2020 Bakhshi and Shaddick launch ‘Art of the Possible’ podcast tracking US 2020 developments August 10, 2020 Related Articles Share Just in time for the start of World Cup Russia 2018, online betting exchange Smarkets has upgraded and relaunched its proprietary mobile apps for iOS and Android systems.Posting an update on its corporate blog, Smarkets’ development team details its new mobile app enhancements, led by customer feedback.New Smarkets mobile app enhancements include:Quick login through Touch-ID or Face-IDA new ‘match centre’ for football markets, detailing timelines, key stats, match overviews and content.Newly designed app interface, featuring quick-links, market search, and simplified access to user account information.Development of ‘Trade-out’ functionality for mobile apps, allowing users to manage market positions more effectively.All-around upgrade on iOS and Android app performance and reliability measures.“We’ve listened to that feedback and now built an app we’re really proud of. If you were at all perturbed by last year’s release, then we’d urge you to download the latest version and see how much it has improved. While the old version retained a lot of style elements from the mobile website, the new version is built from the bottom up to be an app.” Smarkets details in its market update. Bookies Corner: Trump Presidency sinks as US 2020 enters its 100 day countdown July 29, 2020
Related Articles Submit StumbleUpon Share 888 appoints VC expert Limor Ganot as a corporate advisor July 20, 2020 Share Gamesys tops list for GambleAware Q1 donations July 10, 2020 888 calls for Betgenius sportsbook makeover June 25, 2020 Brian Mattingley – 888 HoldingsIssuing a corporate filing, London-listed online gambling group 888 Holdings has this morning disclosed that Itai Frieberger will step down as Chief Executive Officer (CEO), transferring leadership of the company to Itai Pazner (COO).A 14-year 888 Holdings executive, Frieberger ends his three-year tenure as 888 CEO, with governance informing that he will take-on a directorship role undertaking a leadership transition with new incumbent Pazner.Updating investors, Brian Mattingley, Non-Executive Chairman of 888 commented: “Itai Frieberger has been instrumental in driving the transformation of 888 into one of the world’s leading online gaming companies.The Board understands and accepts Itai Frieberger’s decision to step back from the day-to-day running of the global business and, in order to ensure a seamless transition, we are delighted that he will remain on the Board of 888 over the coming months.”Promoted to CEO, 888 governance highlights Pazner’s working knowledge of 888 operations and his track record in delivering new products, divisions and strategies to market, proven during his tenure as Senior VP of 888 B2C division.Itai Pazner – 888 HoldingsItai Pazner, the new CEO of 888, commented: “I am honoured to become the new CEO of 888. This company has a brilliant team and culture across its business, which is led by a talented and vastly experienced operational management team.”On behalf of 888 investors and corporate stakeholders, both Mattingley and Pazner praised the service and leadership of Itai Frieberger, in spearheading the foundations for 888’s growth, success and business strategy.Closing the update, Itai Frieberger would publish the following communication to 888 investors, stakeholders and employees: –“Being CEO of 888 and working with our team of highly skilled and committed colleagues has been a tremendous honour. We have so many great people, partners and investors around the world and I would like to thank them all for their amazing effort and support over the last eight years. In particular, I would like to thank the operational leadership team and, especially, Brian Mattingley, our Chairman, and Aviad Kobrine, our CFO. Their support and input have been invaluable throughout my time at 888.” “This has not been an easy decision to make, however I feel that – after eight exciting and rewarding years as a senior executive in a dynamic global business – this is the right time for me to step back from the day-to-day running of 888. I would like to thank the Board for their understanding and support of my decision and I look forward to continuing to work with the Directors in my new role.”“I am very proud of what we have achieved during my time at 888. The global online gaming industry has changed beyond recognition during this period but, despite this, the Group has continued to achieve its strategic objectives and deliver for its stakeholders. This is down to the strength of our team and our outstanding technology.”“I believe that 888 today is one of the most diversified operators across products and regulated markets in the global online gaming industry. Itai Pazner is a fantastic operator with a tremendous passion for innovation, product development and the customer experience; I know we share the same approach, values and vision for the business. In my new role I will remain on the Board to support Itai by leveraging my relationships and supporting the progress of a number of exciting strategic initiatives that are already underway. I have no doubts that Itai Pazner is the right person to lead 888 through the next exciting chapters of the Group’s growth.”
Related Articles Racing group outlines priorities for resuming racing ‘at the earliest opportunity’ March 31, 2020 Share Irish racing gets green light to resume in June May 15, 2020 Submit StumbleUpon Racing committee plans for 1 June restart May 12, 2020 Bookmakers have reported that revenues have taken a hit following the news that new cases of the Equine Influenza virus have been identified, resulting in an industry-wide halt on the sport.The horseracing industry is currently facing its largest health and financial challenge since the the 2001 outbreak, with Ladbrokes-Coral owner GVC reported to be down 1.45 per cent, while William Hill was down 0.92 per cent and Paddy Power Betfair at a 0.08 per cent loss. The impact on smaller, independent bookmakers is yet to be seen, however.The BHA has reported that following initial reports of the outbreak, four further positive tests for equine influenza have been identified in vaccinated thoroughbreds at a Newmarket yard.The affected yard, which is that of Simon Crisford, is just one of the 174 yards which have been obliged to undergo testing following the fact that runners from the stables competed at Newcastle on 5 February.Media reports have estimated that the overall costs to racing will be in the region between £150m to £200m, with racing fixtures such as the Super Saturday at Newbury expected to cost bookmakers up to £2m a day.The cancellation of race meetings raises significant concerns for UK bookmakers, as the blow to gambling income will subsequently result in the reduction of contributions paid to the industry via the betting levy.Since the outbreak, the BHA and Horserace Betting Levy Board (HBLB) have agreed to pay a contribution to owners or trainers for the costs incurred where the BHA has required samples to be taken, including the cost of the swabs and the veterinary fees involved.The BHA commented: “We are working on the exact details with the NTF and HBLB and will confirm the reimbursement policy and process as soon as possible, but it will be based on a fixed fee per horse sampled.“The BHA is extremely grateful to HBLB for their important support and contribution.” Share
Share StumbleUpon Greek retail closures rock OPAP Q1 performance June 11, 2020 Submit SAZKA confident of European comeback as assets weather COVID-19 storm June 12, 2020 Share Related Articles OPAP delivers on Athens children’s hospital CSR projects July 6, 2020 The board of Athens-listed OPAP SA has revealed that Damian Cope has chosen to end his tenure as Group Chief Executive, and will depart the company in May.Updating company stakeholders, OPAP said that it has started a succession planning process to find Cope’s leadership replacement.Cope will maintain his position as an OPAP board member, and from 1 June will also serve as a corporate advisor to OPAP majority shareholder SAZKA Group, where he will consult on further international growth opportunities. The announcement will see OPAP temporarily restructure its executive leadership team, led by long term executive Jan Karas as Interim CEO. Karas was recently promoted to Group CCO, following an OPAP C-level executive restructure undertaken last month Issuing a statement, OPAP Chairman Kamil Ziegler praised Cope’s tenure in which the executive has led OPAP’s ‘modernisation programme’, revitalising the firm’s retail offering and upgrading its operating systems. Ziegler commented: “I greatly appreciate Damian’s work and contribution to the development of our company activities, as well as his effective collaboration with the Board of Directors throughout his term.“Damian’s early disclosure of his intentions to relocate to stay with his family allowed the Board to prepare a succession plan in advance of his departure.”This morning, Cope delivered his final trading update as Group CEO, in which OPAP stated that 99% of corporate revenues had been wiped out by COVID-19 impacts, forcing OPAP to temporarily close its Greek and Cypriot outlets.On current projections, it anticipates having to absorb an EBITDA blow of €50-53 million should Greece’s lockdown be extended beyond April
Share Submit BtoBet grows LatAm portfolio with GlobalBet deal August 12, 2020 StumbleUpon Related Articles BtoBet grows Nigerian presence with Booster99 deal August 26, 2020 Incentive Games has secured a new agreement with BtoBet which will see a number of Paid-to-Play virtual sports games integrated into the iGaming platform provider’s content portfolio.The new content, according to BtoBet, will be ‘particularly adept to the player requirements in Europe, Africa and Latin America’, and will help operators drive additional revenues in regions where there is limited live sport.Sabrina Soldà, BtoBet’s Chief Marketing Officer, commented: “We are pleased to have partnered with Incentive Games who are considered as specialists in the field of gamification.“The aggregation of their content to our portfolio, particularly with through their F2P and P2P games, allow us to enable our partners to target a much broader audience by providing players with a format of game that appeals to them and works on the devices they use, notwithstanding the different market scenarios and requirements.”John Gordon, CEO of Incentive Games, added: “We are delighted to have partnered with BtoBet, an established platform provider with a very strong foothold especially in our core markets of Latin America, Africa and Europe.“Our games have proved to be very powerful when it comes to acquisition and retention and we believe they will be just as popular with BtoBet’s customers. We look forward to a long and successful relationship with our new partner.” BtoBet refines African SMS payment options with Tola Mobile August 20, 2020 Share
Esports Live Event of the YearEsports Team of the Year Streaming Platform of the YearEsports Publisher of the Year Esports Coverage Website of the YearEsports Hardware Provider of the Year Esports Rookie of the Year (PC)Esports Rookie of the Year (Console) Streamer of the YearEsports Game of the Year Console Player of the YearPC Player of the Year Esports Videographer of the YearUK Esports Player of the Year Esports Unsung Hero of the Year Esports Journalist of the YearEsports Photographer of the Year The Esports Industry Awards have returned for a second year, after a successful 2016 debut. Growing from 18 categories to 21 this time around. Public nominations for the awards are split between now and June, with the awards show being set for November 13th.With Now TV returning as the title sponsor, the awards are setting up in a five-step staging. Kicking off with the nominations, which are open now, they’ll then move onto announcing the finalists. Once the finalists have been revealed the public will get a say on who they believe should win each award, before the panel sits down and gives their final decision. After that, it’s all a big secret until November 13th at The Brewery in London.Last year’s Esports Industry Awards, with this year set to be a larger event (source)The 13 person panel are a wide range of esports personalities and figures, including Paul “ReDeYe” Chaloner, Ducan “Thorin” Shields, Team Dignitas founder Michael “ODEE” O’Dell and Twitch’s Director of Partnerships Chris Mead.The fully fledged list of awards are: Esports Breakthrough Game of the YearEsports Commercial Partner of the Year Esports Personality of the YearEsports Play of the Year Notably missing from this list is last year’s Esports Broadcaster of the Year, which was brought up during the launch show. Possibly temporarily removed until they decide on the name (mentions of it being cleared up towards Caster/Host of the Year), that would bring the awards to the previously announced number of 22.The new awards categories are the Unsung Hero of the Year and and Videographer of the year.Nominations for the first 11 awards are open now, with the nominations for the final set of awards opening in June.Esports Insider says: One of the proper dedicated events shows for esports is back, and with new awards to focus on a wider range of people in the industry. One to focus on will be the Unsung Hero award, and the organiser should prepare themselves for a flood of nominations for the admins and support staff of the industry. Also, they’ve corrected their spelling – Hallelujah.
Hearts of Oak Head Coach Kim Grant has hit out at Liberty Professionals for their approach in Wednesday’s clash between the two which ended goalless.Liberty played the entire second half with a man down after defender Michael Enu was sent off on the stroke of half time for bringing down Joseph Esso, who was through on goal.In a game where Hearts squandered numerous goal scoring opportunities, including a penalty miss from Esso, Liberty ultimately resorted to delay tactics to distort the rhythm of Hearts, much to the frustration of the Hearts faithful.“In the end I’m a little ashamed of how they were rolling around in the second half just to delay their delay tactics, but we have to be more clinical and ruthless in front of goal,” he said.“I’m disappointed. It is like they have won a cup final, while we feel like we have lost the game.“It was obvious they came here to defend, and it shows teams now know what we’re about, so they come here and simply try to get a point,” he added.Hearts will travel to Cape Coast next to take on Ebusua Dwarfs on Sunday.
Liverpool are keen to tie Jurgen Klopp down to an extended contract after the club’s Champions League triumph.Up to 750,000 fans welcomed the Liverpool manager – whose deal ends in 2022 – and his players home on Sunday after the 2-0 win over Spurs in Madrid.Klopp, 51, also oversaw a league campaign in which Liverpool lost only once to finish second on 97 points.“Jurgen is a brilliant coach but just as importantly he is a humble and caring man,” said chairman Tom Werner.“When the players threw Jurgen in the air after our victory, they were acknowledging what all Liverpool fans know – he is beloved by all who appreciate football.”It is their first major trophy since Klopp arrived at Anfield in 2015 and the manager said he was amazed by the turnout for their victory parade.“I don’t know exactly how many people live in Liverpool but it does not look like there is a lot of space for fans of other clubs,” he told LFC TV.“It is incredible. If you are a young kid, which do you support? There are not a lot of opportunities or options other than Liverpool. You see in the eyes how much it means. It is really intense.”Liverpool, who lost last season’s final to Real Madrid, won their final nine league games of the season as they recorded the third highest points total since the inception of the Premier League but finished a point behind Manchester City. Source: BBC