Injured Bishoo ruled out of third Test

first_imgSYDNEY, Australia (CMC):West Indies’ hopes of using two spinners for the third Test match against Australia have been squashed after leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo was ruled out of the final game here starting today (last night Jamaica time).Captain Jason Holder announced that Bishoo had not fully recovered from a left shoulder injury and was not available for selection.The one specialist spinner left in the squad is left-arm spinner Jomel Warrican, who played in the first match in Hobart and the second match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.”We’re down to one spinner with the injury to Bishoo, so we just have to work with what we have. I’m sure Kraigg Brathwaite will come to the fore and bowl a bit more,” Holder told reporters on the eve of the match.”I’ve seen they’ve gone with two spinners. We’ve been accustomed to spin-bowling in the Caribbean and, hopefully, our batsmen can get into that a lot better than we have in this series.”Heavy defeatsWest Indies have already lost the series following heavy defeats in the first two Tests. They went down by an innings and 212 runs in the Hobart opener before losing by 177 runs in the second Test in Melbourne last week.Holder said the team was buoyant following their improved outing in the second match, when they showed more resistance than in the three-day defeat in Hobart.”We showed some improvement with the bat in Melbourne and we will look to take that into this match here. From the start of the tour, many people say the odds are against us, but we have belief and we will put up a good showing,” Holder contended.last_img read more

Continue reading

Gilas Pilipinas sweeps Chinese Taipei in Fiba World qualifiers

first_imgCloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Go, Ateneo lock up Filoil finals berth MOST READ LATEST STORIES Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees June Mar Fajardo showed his might and unleashed 22 points in an efficient 9-of-12 shooting to lead Gilas Pilipinas.Andray Blatche was solid this time out, finishing with 13 points, 12 rebounds, five assists and three steals.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownTop guards Jayson Castro and Terrence Romeo also delivered with 15 and 14 points, respectively.With Japan dealing Australia a 79-78 shocker earlier, Gilas Pilipinas forced a tie at the top of Group B with a 4-1 record. Photo from FIBA.BasketballGilas Pilipinas recovered from a slow start and repeated over the hotshooting Chinese Taipei, 93-71, in the Fiba World Cup Asian Qualifiers Friday night in Taiwan.Down by nine in the first quarter, the Filipinos flipped the switch in the second quarter and never looked back to sweep the Taiwanese.ADVERTISEMENT Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The Filipinos meet the Australians on Monday at Philippine Arena for the lead in their bracket.Chinese Taipei came out of the gates hot, but was unable to stop the onslaught from the Filipinos despite nailing seven triples in the first half.Quincy Davis paced Taiwan, which dropped to 1-4 in Group B, with 17 points and seven rebounds while Cheng-Ju Lu added 13 points on four threes.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View commentslast_img read more

Continue reading

Barcelona to pay hefty fine over Neymar transfer case

first_imgBarcelona have agreed to pay a fine of 5.5 million euros ($6.21 million) to the Spanish authorities to settle a tax fraud case over the transfer of Brazil international Neymar in 2013. (Euro 2016 – Full Coverage)Barcelona had been accused of concealing part of Neymar’s transfer fee when he moved to Spain from Brazilian club Santos, with several investigations carried out in Spain and Brazil.CLUB AGREES TO SETTLEMENTThe settlement was reported by Spanish news agency Efe last week and the club confirmed in a statement on Tuesday that its board had approved the agreement at a meeting the previous day.”The Board … has decided to approve the agreement presented by the club’s legal services with regard to the case surrounding the signing of Neymar Jr, currently being heard in the Courts of the Province of Barcelona,” the statement said.”The agreement involves the recognition by the club of an error in tax planning for the signing of the player, for the fiscal years 2011 and 2013, when they did not correctly withhold payments resulting from his incorporation.”In addition, the club has been exonerated from responsibility for the fiscal year 2014, which was also part of the proceedings.”TRANSFER COST NEAR 100 MILLIONThe vote by Barca’s board approves a pact to absolve both current president Josep Bartomeu and former president Sandro Rosell of wrongdoing with regard to the transfer.Bartomeu was a vice president under Rosell when Neymar was signed in a complex deal involving multiple contracts.The tax probe was launched after a club member questioned the figures given for the Neymar deal. Barca initially said they paid 57.1 million euros but later said the cost was nearer 100 million.advertisementNEYMAR IN TROUBLE?Reuters reported last week Spanish prosecutors want Neymar to face charges of fraud and corruption over his transfer.Brazilian investment fund DIS, which held 40 percent of Neymar’s sporting rights at Santos, said it was deprived of its full share of the transfer as Barcelona had concealed the actual value of the deal.last_img read more

Continue reading

Mexico’s defensive issues on full display at Argentina

first_imgIt has been easy enough for Mexico fans to shrug off anything that has happened since the World Cup. A 2-0 loss to Argentina on Friday is the fourth defeat of five matches overseen by interim manager Ricardo “Tuca” Ferretti.But Ferretti is the interim manager. He’s trying to bring in young players, giving chances to members of a new generation who may still be too green for the demands of international football but could excel. The loss in Cordoba, however, was another piece of evidence that not all will be well simply when Mexico starts playing matches that matter. When the new manager, who will be Gerardo “Tata” Martino unless something unexpected happens at the 11th hour, takes over the team he will inherit issues that have been exposed during Ferretti’s brief tenure.”Today, our ceiling was very far. I expected better soccer from the players. I think we had a lot of mistakes that, how can I tell you, players on this level shouldn’t have,” Ferretti said in his post-match news conference. “I think that was one of the reasons why they started to dominate the play and the position on the field.” Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! “Maybe far is drastic, but we do have to work a lot,” the manager clarified. “A lot. We need a lot of work.”The biggest problem continues to be El Tri’s defense, and once again it struggled to keep pace Friday. Mexico has conceded in every match since the World Cup. That can’t be shrugged off, especially when it’s not difficult at all to imagine the back line Ferretti utilized against Argentina being the one Martiino puts out at the Gold Cup. Nestor Araujo and Diego Reyes reasonably could be the center-back pairing of the future with Luis “Chaka” Rodriguez and Jesus Gallardo on either side of them.They started well, as did most of Mexico’s players, but petered out as the first half went on. Changes in the second half led to a bit of improvement, but Mexico will need to improve by more than just a little if it’s going to get to the heights it wants to in the next World Cup cycle.The defense wasn’t particularly strong under previous manager Juan Carlos Osorio, whose constant messaging about needing to improve the aerial game was ridiculed by many reporters in the Mexican press, many of whom saw it simply as height discrimination.It hardly seems silly now. It was never about the number with Osorio but rather if the player could perform when a cross is whipped into the box or when he needs to win a second ball.Clearly there are a lack of players that applies to in the Mexico player pool. Of the 10 goals that have been conceded in the first five matches since Russia, half of them have come from set pieces. Four out of the 10 were scored on headers.Ramirio Funes Mori’s opener in the 44th minute was a perfect example of El Tri’s issue with both. Some players decided they were playing the offside trap. They weren’t, or if they were supposed to be it was ruined by other players who weren’t. It’s a gaffe that simply can’t happen if Mexico wants to win matches against the world’s top teams. With the Villarreal defender in, there was no one there to make him think about anything other than where he would place his header. He made the right decision and beat goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa to give Argentina the lead before the break.Ramiro Funes Mori Argentina“Nobody wants their players to make mistakes,” Ferretti said. “Tuesday, I expect the team, the players, each one individually play to their level and that after that as a collective they can integrate. It’s not that easy. With a national team you only have one or two day to come together, it really depends on the individual players, on their tactical understanding and I hope Tuesday we can improve on both aspects, the individual and the collective.”Too often in the past, Mexico matches have turned into shooting galleries on the country’s top goalkeepers. Ochoa has passed those tests, and he was again superb Friday. He saw bright spots but ultimately seems ready for a new manager to take over and get to work on some of the issues.”I think we have a lot of quality, a lot of talent. We showed we can compete and with work and with a direction, the team has a lot it can improve,” Ochoa said after the match.But as we’ve seen time and time again, Ochoa and his fellow shot-stoppers can only stem the bleeding so much. They can only make so many saves. Mexico’s defense must improve from the center backs to the outside backs to the midfielders in front of the back line to the forwards working to win the ball back from the first moment.There could be help. Carlos Salcedo was Mexico’s best defender at the World Cup and should be returning from injury prior to the March friendly matches. El Titan can’t be the only hope for Mexico, though. If he watched Friday, Martino has to be hoping Araujo can get minutes with Celta de Vigo, Reyes rediscovers what made him a good defender in the first place, Gallardo sees more time as a defender and ultimately that he can figure out a way to get his whole team defending well. As Ferretti says, there’s plenty of work to be done. How effective the new manager is at improving things at the back will be the difference between celebration or another frustration for Mexico fans four years from now.last_img read more

Continue reading