BASSETERRE, St Kitts (CMC): Test star Marlon Samuels headlines a 14-man Leeward Islands Hurricanes squad announced yesterday for this month’s Regional Super50 in Antigua and Barbados. The veteran right-hander, who has not turned out in the tournament in three seasons, will be joined by the Trinidad and Tobago pair of Kevon Cooper and Akeal Hosein for the January 24 to February 18 campaign. Test fast bowler Alzarri Joseph has also been named in the unit, which will be led by out-of-favour Test left-hander Kieran Powell, with West Indies A all-rounder Rahkeem Cornwall as his deputy. The 35-year-old Samuels, meanwhile, will be a huge boost or the Hurricanes, who have been installed in a tough Zone A alongside defending champions Trinidad and Tobago Red Force, Windward Islands Volcanoes, West Indies Under-19s and English county side, Kent Spitfires. Jamaican Samuels, a veteran of 71 Tests and 187 One-Day Internationals, is a regular member of the current Windies side in all three formats. Cooper, a steady seamer and effective lower order batsman, is also expected to add depth to the Hurricanes while Hosein’s left-arm spin and left-handed batting will be an asset. Batsman Jermaine Otto is the only debutant included in the squad. Hurricanes will hold their first training session as a unit on Monday at the Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium. SQUAD: Kieran Powell (captain), Rahkeem Cornwall, Marlon Samuels, Montcin Hodge, Chesney Hughes, Nkrumah Bonner, Jahmar Hamilton, Jermaine Otto, Orlando Peters, Alzarri Joseph, Akeal Hosein, Kevon Cooper.
JOE DUFFY’S future with the UFC franchise remains up in the air, but the Burtonport man has no intentions of quitting the sport.Duffy, 3-1 as a UFC fighter, has one fight of a five-bout contract remaining, but with an impasse no closer to being resolved the 28-year-old is uncertain as to his future.Duffy is 16-2 as a mixed martial artist, but has not fought since his first-round destruction of Mitch Clarke in Las Vegas in July. Duffy was offered a place at UFC Fight Night 99 in Belfast, but turned down the chance as he was unhappy with the opponent that had been lined up.“I would love to have been on the Belfast card but things didn’t work out the way I was hoping,” Duffy said in an interview with the42.ie.“It’s a bit of a shame and obviously for the Irish fans I think it would have been nice for them to have had a few more Irish fighters on the card. But that’s business. That’s the way it works out.”“There’s been no contact between my management and the UFC. We haven’t really heard anything from them since, so the plan is to stay ready over Christmas, get ready for a fight in the new year and fight out my contract. But for now there’s been no contact from the UFC whatsoever.” Even if Duffy does sever ties with the UFC, he won’t be walking away from the octagon.He said: “I don’t think it’ll get to the point that I end up quitting. It’s just that it’s a short career and you’ve got to start thinking now about what comes after it.“When I went to the UFC Athlete Summit, I saw how many of those fighters left the sport with nothing. That’s what I’ve got to start thinking about now.“I didn’t go to university. I spent my whole life doing this, working towards this. I’ve got to think about it now and I’m sure I’ll secure a deal that will be a lot better for my future.”No sign of end to impasse, but Joe Duffy vows to ‘stay ready’ was last modified: December 13th, 2016 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:burtonportJoe Duffy